Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Application-level Attacks

From: "R. DuFresne" <dufresne () sysinfo com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 12:18:34 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005, Crispin Cowan wrote:

Shimon Silberschlag wrote:

Today, when attacks are shifting towards using the already open ports
on the firewall, at the application level,

It is often said that contemporary attacks are migrating to
application-level attacks. Can someone point me to data backing this claim?

Isn't it just another example of marketing FUD/hype?  At least the claim
that this is something 'new'.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
--
        admin & senior security consultant:  sysinfo.com

...Love is the ultimate outlaw.  It just won't adhere to rules.
The most any of us can do is sign on as it's accomplice.  Instead
of vowing to honor and obey, maybe we should swear to aid and abet.
That would mean that security is out of the question.  The words
"make" and "stay" become inappropriate.  My love for you has no
strings attached.  I love you for free...
                        -Tom Robins <Still Life With Woodpecker>