Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Username password VS hardware token plus PIN

From: "Ben Nagy" <ben () iagu net>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 17:59:15 +0100

If you're assuming that your users will always write down passwords then the
token is  perhaps superior because the token will often be on a keyring and
not stolen at the same time as the laptop.

Mainly, though, the token protects against offline password brute-forcing -
I know you say you use strong passwords so perhaps the threat is low here.
Other organisations may not be so trusting. The attacker has ~1 minute with
a token versus PasswordLife with your system.

There are other advanatges for a very few people, like duress codes etc. Not
all that relevant.

Finally, my RSA token allows me to select my own "secret number" instead of
using the burned in PIN. That gets sent along with the token data each
login, and can be changed. YMMV, I don't sell RSA stuff. ;)

Perhaps a facile treatment, but I'm late...

Cheers,

ben