Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Username password VS hardware token plus PIN

From: ArkanoiD <ark () eltex net>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 18:36:44 +0300

nuqneH,

Rex is z80-based and easy programmable (though 8bit and slow)

On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 07:13:25PM -0800, Dragos Ruiu wrote:

On February 23, 2005 05:18 pm, you wrote:
Dragos Ruiu wrote:
The problem with the old PDA idea is user reluctance.

Then get SecurIDs or whatever for the few users who
insist on 'em.  But there are PDAs that are tiny, too -
credit card size like the Oregon Scientific PDA293
($9.95 at officedepot.com) or Xircom's Rex, which needs
no cradle because it fits in a PCMCIA slot to sync
and recharge...

Heh, being a gadgetaholic, I own a Rex... (which was not
amongst my most stellar purchases btw, or long-lived in
terms of use,  though it was small enough in its pcmcia
form factor that it rattled around in my suitcase for
years before i noticed it and threw it in the dinosaur
equipment pile with the newtons and many other
strange oddball devices).  I don't know anything
about the Oregon Scientific device, but the Rex
is a non starter. First killer is the frighteningly limited
input system, and second is the high level of reverse
engineering needed to retrofit anything onto that
device as it has nothing resembling a programmatic
interface or any user accessible code bits. It's only
marginally more useful than a paper printout of your
contacts, though the batteries don't die on paper. :-)