Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Re[2]: Application-level Attacks

From: Brenno Hiemstra <brenno.hiemstra () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 09:51:27 +0100

adam,

You are partially right. Application layer attack are most of the
times malicious code running by scripts or exploits. I wont mention
this to be a virus.

Your proposed solution, to use anti-virus, is just 1 of the options. I
dont think its the best option available. I would rather go for:
multiple security layers like firewalls or secure configuration and,
most unfortunate, patching.

Most application layer attacks are focussed to exploit the service at
hand. This would mean that this service could have a security
vulnerability that can be exploited (remotely or locally). Maybe its a
0-day vulnerability thats not known yet....

Brenno