Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: VPNmadness gets more support;

From: Frederick M Avolio <fred () avolio com>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 21:30:32 -0500

At 07:07 PM 2/11/2005, Paul D. Robertson wrote:
Along with blanket deployments where VPN access == full network access.

We've got the same phenomenon we had in the mid-nineties (and still going on) where "firewall" = "secure." No matter if it was still in the shipping box (nod to Rik Farrow's real audit discovery).

I'm certainly not the only one on this list who lectures about such things, and always, always, always spends a few minutes talking about why unrestricted connections over encrypted channels is not only stupid, but completely unnecessary.

Of course, for that, someone comments, "oh, he just thinks you need firewalls everywhere." :-/

And the beat goes on.