Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: risk level associated with VPNs?

From: "Richards, Jim" <jim.richards () dot state wi us>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 08:21:46 -0600

IMHO,

  I have had that exact scenario wreak havoc on the network I managed in
Europe.  With blaster and other such maware looming, I secured my VPN
connections by locking down the filter tightly.  Unfortunately my colleague
in the US did not do so, and I failed to lock down the site to site VPN
connection, thus at around 8:00 am US time,  someone VPN's in, introduced
the virus to the US LAN, which promptly came through the tunnel to Europe,
and made for a very unpleasant afternoon/evening for me.

  The approach I take is now to be very aggressive on locking down the
perimeter of each site under my control, to protect them from each other, as
when laptops go offsite, I can no longer protect them as well as I would
like, and when they return, there is a chance that something nasty might
have been installed.

  This also protects against the non-company-owned PCs in use on the VPN
which I do not (nor would want to have to) support.

Jim Richards
Computer Security Officer
Wisconsin Dept of Transportation