Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Domain Name Requests

From: Rick Greep <RickGreep () cti-consulting com>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 10:11:33 -0600

Hello,

        Within the last month I have noticed a number of packets directed to port 53
on my home connection. The limited information from my router only reports
that inbound packets were directed to port 53 from > 1024 but not whether it
was UDP or TCP. I am getting around 50 hits per day in bursts from 5 to 30 at
a time from random sites.

        I am running named internally but inbound connections from the internet are
blocked. The requests are coming from ISP's like level3.net but also from
non-ISP's like doubleclick.net.

        Is anyone else seeing this? Could this be some type of worm attempting to
spread to DNS servers? I remember doubleclick being attacked with some type
of DNS denial of service a couple of months ago, could this be related?

Take care,
--
Rick Greep, Core Technologies, Inc.
RickGreep () cti-consulting com