Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: L2L VPN redundancy for T1 link

From: "Sanford Reed" <sanford.reed () cox net>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 03:41:05 -0400

|             |     | VPN3005      |
|   Firewall  +-----+ Concentrator +----- RAS Network
|             |     |              |
|             |     +--------------+
+------+------+

+--------------+
|  Internal    |
|   Router     |
+ w/ GRE Tunnel+            T1 to site B
| to Site B    |----------------------->
| Internal     |
|  Router      |
+--------------+

     Site A
     Internal
     Networks

Yes, I did mean FW to FW. My previous statement saying to "'flipped' the
Router" was not the best wording. I should have used the 'art' to better
indicate what I was trying to say so see my modified ASCII art of what I
meant. Sorry. I forgot that we were using the External Router to MLPS
'merger several Internet T1s to get the bandwidth desired and to do BGP
between two ISP Providers.

The GRE tunnel passes the internal routing information (EIGRP) between site
A & B. Because the GRE Tunnel is passing thru the VPN Tunnel the firewall
Rules will be bypassed.

The Internal Router maintains the possible routes to Site B and will
automatically compensate for 'failure' of either possible route. The FW
Tunnel keeps the data secure when it is passing over the Internet.

However I have to point out that we did not have the 3005 to contend with
however I'm thinking that if you modify it as I indicated above. Setup
inbound rules to allow your Internet VPN users into the 3005 and then rules
to allow traffic from the 3005 to 'pass-thru' to the internal address range
it should work. This would have the added benefit of adding some FW controls
to both the Internet VPN Clients and the RAS clients.

If your Raptor can accept the Internet T1 directly then you can eliminate
the external router.

Sanford Reed
(V) 757.406.7067