Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: L2L VPN redundancy for T1 link

From: "Stewart, John" <johns () artesyncp com>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 12:22:15 -0500

John Kougoulos wrote:
How about connecting A & B L2L with a GRE over IPsec (terminating the
GRE on the routers) ? This way all the routes to B site will go through
the router instead of the firewall. (Ok, you'll lose some
bytes for GRE encapsulation).

So this has the benefit of sending all of the L2L traffic through the
firewall, rather than bypassing it?

The T1 routers be a single point of failure, no?

I'm not quite sure what GRE buys us here. Wouldn't it be possible to build a
VPN tunnel via IPsec between the two routers, and pass the IPsec traffic
through the firewall (which would unfortunately need to do some NAT as we're
using private addresses internally on these routers)? Why GRE?

Thank you

johnS