Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Re: Flawed Surveys [was: VPN endpoints]

From: "Stailey, Mike" <Mike.Stailey () henryschein com>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 14:55:07 -0400

Mike,
Point taken and noted. I agree somewhat. However, until the powers that be (our enterprises) REALLY believe that
security is important both from an inside standpoint as well as what comes at us, we as security practitioners are
preaching to the choir. We are the professionals that have a higher level of accurate stats than any phone survey of
"Hi, got a few minutes to answer some computer security questions?". My point is until someone that is an *national
authority* stands up and says "this is a problem we need to fix" enterprises are not going to fork over the cash that
is needed to do the complete job. No matter how many matrixes we give them. You did not address my comment on SOX which
I believe is the *national authority*. It forces enterprises to not only show compliance to a higher network security
standard but also internal controls as well. If there are bad practices going on inside a company you can be darn sure
the SOX process will make the top guys aware of it. This means the top guys have knowledge and their butt's are now on
the line.

So, we now have the attention of the top guys with the doe. I truly believe the smart ones (us) will then contract an
outside security firm to help them with risk, solution, prevention. Now we have facts and figures from two reliable
sources (us and the contractors) and feed them back to the SOX process which in turn will build the needed stats.

No, I don't work for the government or a security contracting firm is case you were wondering.

Paul,
How many times in our career have we busted hump with charts, facts and figures on something we were passionate about
and when we got an audience with the top brass we noticed their eyes glazing over? Could SOX while on the surface seems
like yet another B-S big brother not going to work legislation -or- could it be disguised as the start of a
"revolution"?

Still sticking to my story...

Mike.