Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Re: Flawed Surveys [was: VPN endpoints]

From: Christopher Hicks <chicks () chicks net>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 19:00:28 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 MHawkins () TULLIB COM wrote:
In my opinion, there will come a day when a security event will be, for purposes of insurance, considered to be a reportable incident.

I agree totally. One of my hats is righting claims management software for folks who manage medical malpractice claims. These folks track trends over decades and actively work to learn from those trends to avoid future claims. In their world avoiding claims means killing fewer people, dropping fewer people off stretchers, making sure nurses can find the right stuff to inject into you and so on. Applying the same mentality to computer security would be a truly beautiful thing. If this sort of thing had been going on before now I strongly suspect we'd see a lot more firewalls properly configured and regularly monitored and a lot fewer Windows boxes waiting to get owned. And it may not be an ideally scientific survey, but it would still be rather helpful. :)

--
</chris>

 -- C.A.R. Hoare