Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Ethics, morality and the industry

From: Mike Smith <jmikesmith () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 14:48:36 -0400 (EDT)

 --- MHawkins () TULLIB COM wrote:

<snip>

Are members of a group permitted to use various public actions to ostracize
felons in order to demonstrate your personal opposition to actions committed
by the felon that offend your moral or ethical view?

And by extension: Does "boycotting" fall into the acceptable category of
"actions"?

Yes and Yes.  You may do anything you wish to show your disapproval, short of
breaking the law.

<snip>

The idea that Mitnick and his ilk are somehow completely innoculated from
further "harassment" (my word) in the form of a boycott of a conference
because "they have done their time" is also flawed. To me, that is like
saying that Saddam Hussein or Idi Amin (or any other non contrite criminal)
are somehow forgiven for doing time for their crimes -

I noted that some crimes are unpardonable.  Theft and fraud don't compare to
tyranny.  Further, I'm not suggesting that every felon should be free from, or
even expect freedom from, the disapproval of his fellow citizens.  I am
suggesting that felons who have paid their penalities and demonstrated good
behaviour for several years have the right to lawfully exploit their skills and
knowledge to earn a living.

<snip>
This is perhaps comparable to a sex predator who does time for
molestation of children but who then gets out of jail and proceeds to make a
living producing porn movies with children.

I think a more apt comparison is a sex predator who does time for molesting
children and who then gets out of jail and lectures or teaches on the motives
and methods of sex predators so that those who fight against them can better
understand them.  One could even argue that by keeping himself in the public
eye, he's more likely to be caught should he return to the dark side.

<snip>

A black hat will always be a black hat no matter how much
white washing you try to do.

Does this apply only to hackers, or does it apply generally?  If it's a general
statement, then you are describing a world with no forgiveness and no
possibilty of redemption.

One further note: boycotting the conference denies participants the chance to
hear opposing views.  Wouldn't those who disapprove of Abagnale or Mitnick
serve themselves better by first listening to Abagnale's or Mitnick's message
and then thoughtfully and logicall rebutting it?

=====
Mike Smith

"Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe."
                        H.G. Wells - The Outline of History