Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Security of HTTPS

From: Frank Knobbe <frank () knobbe us>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 10:43:47 -0600

On Sun, 2004-11-28 at 10:15, Ng Pheng Siong wrote:
In SSL/TLS, the client certificate request is optional, and its typical
use, HTTPS, does not require client certificates, so there is no client
public/private key here that can be used to "transfer encrypted key
material".

Right. But even if client certificates are used, these are only used for
authentication (signature check) and not for encryption during
master-key negotiation.

That issue is something I have on my mind ever since Michael Warfields
discussion about this in Focus-IDS. I'd like to remember that issue for
comparisons between SSL VPNs with other type of VPNs (IPSec or SSH) as
these do not have the same ...uhm... weakness. I still think people put
too much stock in SSL VPNs.

Oh well...

Cheers,
Frank