Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Security of HTTPS

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 10:04:22 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004, Servie Platon wrote:

1. How does the cracker hone in to attack a preferred
network of choice? Do they just port scan the internet
and once it finds one would do the MITM and pose as a
legit web site?

It's called a "Man in the middle" attack for a reason, the attacker must
be in the "middle" of the traffic flow.

2. Do they pose as legit web sites to unsuspecting
users, or hiding in the guise of a famous web site but
in fact doing a MITM attack?

That happens too, for instance, recently there's been a spate of Windows
malware changing hosts file entries to get the site's traffic redirected
to them, even if the user types the URL in their browser.

Most people now adays, make online transactions such
as buying, selling and other e-commerce type of thing.
After reading the whitepaper makes me think twice if
it is really safe using HTTPS despite the guarantees
being stated by such sites?

It's as safe as anything else, that is to say the risks have been
minimized to the extent it's possible to do so without being
over-infringing, but it could be done in a better way if there weren't so
many competing interests.

Any tips, suggestions, as well as explanations as to
how this is done and how to avoid such a thing from
occuring would mean a lot so that we could limit the
chances of being victimized in the future.

Keep the integrity of your client systems strong, make sure your DNS is
good, make sure your routers are secure, use good clients, and track
transactions and audit them.

Generally, there are enough weak Web servers that MITM attacks aren't
worthwhile, other than the redirection stuff I mentioned earlier.

Paul