Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Security of HTTPS

From: "Kevin Sheldrake" <kev () electriccat co uk>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 16:16:44 -0000

Hello

You may wish to look at ettercap (not sure if it's been mentioned so far) from ettercap.sourceforge.net. There is some useful info in the FAQs, as well as in the man pages. Installing and using the tool (on *nix/*bsd/mac os x) will allow you to perform HTTPS MITM attacks between local users and remote web sites; although it would also be possible to perform the same against local web sites and remote users; just not remote users and remote web sites (at least not without some GRE tunnels...).

The SSL MITM attacks in ettercap work by modifying and then signing the server certificate. The user generally gets asked whether they'd like to accept a certificate that is in date, relates to the right site, but is signed by a signing organisation they "haven't yet chosen to trust" (paraphrased). Click 'no' don't get your email (banking, porn, whatever); click 'yes' do get your email (etc). It's quite obvious to guess what most users do.

The amusing side of this MITM attack is that if you register your certificate with a trusted CA (get it signed) then the newly signed server certificate will be trusted automatically IIRC. I believe it is possible to pay CAs to sign certificates for you. On the underground I would expect a handful of valid certificates to be circulating for this purpose.

So, SSL/HTTPS is not necessarily secure, but then practically nothing is. As always, you need to take a risk management decision.

Kev

Hi folks,

I'm so sorry for the messed up email before, my
apologies.

I am not the original poster to this thread but after
reading the white paper on the SANS web site made me a
little bit weary of the possibilities which I am
posting my question based on the topic of MITM attack.

1. How does the cracker hone in to attack a preferred
network of choice? Do they just port scan the internet
and once it finds one would do the MITM and pose as a
legit web site?

2. Do they pose as legit web sites to unsuspecting
users, or hiding in the guise of a famous web site but
in fact doing a MITM attack?

Most people now adays, make online transactions such
as buying, selling and other e-commerce type of thing.
After reading the whitepaper makes me think twice if
it is really safe using HTTPS despite the guarantees
being stated by such sites?

Any tips, suggestions, as well as explanations as to
how this is done and how to avoid such a thing from
occuring would mean a lot so that we could limit the
chances of being victimized in the future.

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
Servie

- --- Jean-Denis Gorin <jdg_cnce2004 () yahoo fr> wrote:

Lot of papers about SSL Man In the Middle attack.
For
example, on the SANS web site:
  http://www.sans.org/rr/whitepapers/threats/480.php

Some kind of proxies use this to enable content
filtering of HTTPS traffic...

  JDG

From Alex Bihlmaier

> Good Morning.
>

> I am curious how strong the security of https can
be.
> Is there some possibility of a MITM attack?
> Are there any papers out there outlining this
aspect
> of security?
>

> //thalunil

Créez votre Yahoo! Mail sur
http://fr.benefits.yahoo.com/

Le nouveau Yahoo! Messenger est arrivé ! Découvrez
toutes les nouveautés pour dialoguer instantanément
avec vos amis. A télécharger gratuitement sur
http://fr.messenger.yahoo.com

[...]

From Alex Bihlmaier

--
Kevin Sheldrake MEng MIEE CEng CISSP