Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: NAT Pseudo Security

From: "Chris Carlson" <chris () compucounts com>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 12:41:51 -0400

My question is how vulnerable would that network be from outside
attacks?

In my expirence, fairly secure, but it all depends on what you're trying
to secure.  I wouldn't use it for anything larger than a very small
business with a handful of users; a SOHO.  To do only NAT, you would be
completely neglecting intrusion detection and internal security.  You
could be compromised either internally or externally and you would never
know.

Is there anyway an outside user would be able to utilize source
routing or another mechanism to attack an internally NAT'd host?

Yes - A friend of mine used to play around with this all the time; I'm
not totally sure how it was done, but I know it didn't take long to get
around the NAT router.  I'm open to any recources that might describe
this in detail (hint hint :)  In any case, I would implement some sort
of filtering to prevent internal IPs from being used (as source or dest)
on the external side.  This should eliminate some of the more obvious
attacks, but I'm sure there are more that I'm not aware of.

Hope this helps

- Chris