Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Worms, Air Gaps and Responsibility

From: "Kelly, Chris W." <ckelly () hsutx edu>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 08:57:14 -0500

Yea - I worry about that some.  We use a wireless internet feed from the
local cable company for net access.  We had some trouble with the
service being there one minute and gone the next.  It's very reassuring
when you call them, then the "tech" calls back and you get a
conversation like:
"What's wrong?"
"Service is down again."
"Hang on...um, run IPCONFIG for me."
"OK...We don't have our normal 12.xxx address - just the Windows
default."
"What is it?"
"169.254..."
"You have a virus."
"Do what?  Why do you say that?"
"That IP address has been in some computers I've seen that have a
virus."

So then I get to school the guy on a little Windows IP and finally he
agrees what the real deal is - the node is dead.  They also had an
"expert" come from Dallas last week and when the "expert" got done,
their DNS servers were off line about half the time.  "Expert"
apparently made a second trip to correct that problem.  But I got to
explain a little DNS to the tech and convince him that it was a failure
in their system, not problem on my end.  If they have that good an
understanding of the system, it makes you really wonder what - if any -
security is in place.  At least it's a proprietary system and not
something any old 802.11 client can lock on to.