Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Re: Best Practices

From: "R. DuFresne" <dufresne () sysinfo com>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 15:13:00 -0400 (EDT)

Dana,

I feel your points have been clear and for the most part, consise.  But, I
also think this set of best prac. lists has been done, repeatedly,
adnauseum<sp?>.  The problem is not in putting together a list, or a set
of them, it is in getting others to link to those lists, read and then
understand and impliment these practises.  Here are some of the problems
I've seen with such lists and getting them out into the general
knowledgebase;;

1> expense;  how many corp computer systems and let's just consiider
desktops here, are shipped with too many devices and services still open
to the public?  How many lack a simple effective and cheap anti-virus
produuct in the base offering install?  Just for corporate level systems
that a supplier, say dell or gateway or what-have-you, the expense of
fixing the too much open and running with privledge is costly, they need
to hire folks with the knowledge and skills to produce an image for these
that is more seucure.  some vendors like dell have taken great leaps in
this, yet, still have not got it all locked down.  The cost of adding
another packaged product into the base offering of an decent yet cheap and
intiitive <does one exist> anti-virus package is again, not cost
effective.  Companies with large orders might actually make headway here
in the systems purchased, but the small company or home user still has an
uphill battle with their own checkbooks to fight here.  The rules of
frugallity have set the common mindset to;  don't foot the bill till the
foot breaks something and the costs of repair outweight the costs of
saving a few bucks prior to fallout.

2> deceminating the knowledgebase lists to those targeted.  the Term
firewall, is still not common enough in the languages of tech-speech for
many to understand, let alone know how to seek out info on the topic.
Varous best practises lists are out here on the net, Paul just helped
guide folks through the first day of the techies with a clue helping the
non-clued secure their new home systems.  And, I'm willing to bet that
after the 5th and 10th anneversaries of this date in January<?> that
security wikll still be an uncommon  bit of knwoeldge to the masses, and
many of those masses are going to be folks in the IT field.

3>  what lists that do exist are too technical in terminology for the
average user to take in, they are too IT jargonised.  Service/daemon?!
port/communications channel?!  firewall/port blocking, these are not
common terms, and so filter into the common person's languagebase
extremely slowly.  Just try and define aht an anti-viruse package is to
Aunt Tilly.  I'm trying to explain simple e-mail terms and netiquette.
Problem is, these are not techie folks, and no matter how slow I talk
while walking them trough the windows on their own system in front of
them, they get confused or forget what they learned five minutes before.
and since I live 1500 miles from family, I can't walk or drive over to
help point where to click and show a specific example from their own
mailboxes.  I've run into the same issues with lusers in the workplace,
daily.  Many in those cases do not see learning or knwoing as part of
their responsibility, the pc is merely one of the tools they use to do
their job, and some of the ones closer to retireing wish they had an old
selectric<sp?  typewriter> back on the desk.

getting the info to the masses, in a format they can relate to in an easy
manner is are the key areas we are stll failing in.  Once someone has been
in the field long enough to know the terminology or with enough of a clue
to seek out the jargon file to find the definition is not the problem,
it;s getting through to the manager that knows little about the technical
expect how to convert a pie chart to a bar chart in excel, and to aunt
tilly and uncle ben are the keys.  And then getting the vendors too comply
when it is not economically tempting for them to do so, creating desktop
links for aunt tilly and uncle ben to learn from.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
<who jusat muddled up the clear and consise thread, sorry>