Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: BGP TCP RST Attacks (was:CIsco PIX vulnerable to TCP RST DOS attacks)

From: "Ahmed, Balal" <balal.ahmed () capgemini com>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 09:47:18 +0100

Microsoft targeted Exploits usually arrive on the scene 3 - 8 weeks after a
vulnerability has been announced, this TCP RST advisory cannot be looked at
in the same light though as it is cross platform/vendor.

As stated elsewhere in this thread the largest threat vector will be feeds
from the Internet. Given that sasser exploited a known vulnerability for
which a patch was available, no patch release from any vendor should be
dismissed without due process and risk analysis with buy in from security
officers and management. Its very easy to dismiss a vulnerability without
assessing the full impact until it is exploited by which time its too late.

The decision on patching kit in this case should be based around how
important availability is for your information assets. Being security
professionals can we afford not patching up the latest release or patches
where possible?