Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Worms, Air Gaps and Responsibility

From: "Victor Williams" <vbwilliams () essvote net>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 10:08:17 -0500

I don't understand this point of view:

"Ah. Let me step through this ;>

You've got [for the sake of arguement] a home computer, connected to the
Internet via a cable modem.

The user starts up a thin client, which connects to their employer.

At this point in time, you've got a connection to the Internet, and a
connection to the employer.  There is no separation of priveledge here. You
have what is supposed to be a "secure" connection feeding data from the
employer co-existing with an "insecure" connection - the Internet.

This is, by definition, not a good thing."

A true thin-client, the definition I've come to accept/understand, gets its
data/configuration/whatever from the server serving it...ala X-terminals.
Regardless of what happens, if the server/thin-client architecture is
deployed correctly (which is a very EASY thing to do nowadays if you can
read), the client cannot do anything to the server.  The client is seeing
what is happening on the server and interacting that way.  Nothing that goes
on on the client-end (what the client is seeing) is happening locally.  I
don't understand why anyone would have an issue with that architecture.  If
money's not an object, that's my optimum deployment strategy...but that's
the problem from my point of view...money.  In the Windows world--which is
what all dumb users understand--you've got a LOT of costs to deploy that
architecture.  I would LOVE for a large chunk of my enterprise that I manage
to be deployed this way.  It gives me absolute control over the environment.
But I think the financials are the barrier there...not the
practicality/security of the architecture.

I remember about 8 years back I was the administrator for a gov't network
with a lot of engineers who used GIS software served by HPUX to HP X
terminals.  It was the absolute easiest thing to administer from every
aspect.  There was no floppy drive access.  The data came from a direct
download from another *trusted* gov't agency.  Internet access wasn't an
issue then as bandwidth was rather expensive and all data that anyone needed
to work with was already on the system.  I think that's the goal of the
thin-client architecture.  Everything you need is already there.  There is
no reason to have to inject your own *stuff* into the system.  This is how
accounting and mission-critical business programs are handled in the company
I'm currently at.  Funny thing, those are the only systems that have never
been negatively affected by any worms, bugs, etc in the 3+ years I've been
there.  The thin-client is delivered to the PC over the network...but the PC
can't modify it in any way...works well in my opinion.

Victor Williams