Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: proxies for personal firewalls

From: Ng Pheng Siong <ngps () netmemetic com>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 00:48:13 +0800

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 12:34:29PM +0100, ML wrote:
i have a little question: makes it sense to install proxies (ftp,http) on a
personal firewall (only to protect my own pc to the internet) or are
proxies only dedicated to protect internal networks?

A proxy makes sense, but not exactly in the context of a firewall.

E.g., presently there is a discussion in blogspace about "session
hijacking" of opaque "capability" URLs used in continuation-based web
application frameworks. (A fully buzzword-compliant topic, as you can see.
;-)

A blogspace thread, unlike a Usenet or mailing list one, happens on
people's blogs. You'll have to click here and there to track the
discussion. Another example: Fred Avolio blogged on "Evolution of
firewalls".  The moderator of this list responded in _his_ blog. If more
people join in on their blogs, how to follow?

So, anyways, I first saw the "session hijacking" reference a day or two
ago. Bugger if I can remember _where_ though. A personal proxy that logs,
indexes and generally acts like a smart web browsing assistant will be very
helpful.

(Or maybe a blogspace <-> NNTP gateway will do. Duh!)

Cheers.

--
Ng Pheng Siong <ngps () netmemetic com>

http://firewall.rulemaker.net -+- Firewall Change Management & Version Control