Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: proxies for personal firewalls

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 17:31:58 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004, ML wrote:

hi list,
i have a little question: makes it sense to install proxies (ftp,http) on a
personal firewall (only to protect my own pc to the internet) or are
proxies only dedicated to protect internal networks?

From a protection standpoint, it makes more sense to install better
applications locally.  You're using the same TCP/IP stack as the
applications, so you're unlikely to benefit from lower-level protection.
It's possible that you could gain application protection, especially if
you can add per-protocol filtering to the proxy- but the maintenance
headache of keeping that updated is probably no worse than that of
maintaining the applications directly.

Paul