Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: vpn end-point

From: "Claussen, Ken" <Ken () kccweb com>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 13:25:29 -0500

If possible I would end the VPN tunnel on the (edge) Router and then
pass the traffic through the firewall. This provides the ability to
setup rules for specific protocols/ports much more easily. If
terminating to a Pix firewall it becomes difficult to create access
lists for your VPN traffic. We used to dedicate one DMZ off the Pix for
the VPN traffic at a previous employer. This is easy if your Edge router
has an extra Ethernet port. Choose an RFC 1918 address range and create
a transit network between the router and the DMZ interface. Add a route
on the Edge router for the VPN traffic and setup firewall rules, voila.
This is assuming you can get a Triple DES image for your router and it
has the horsepower to handle the encryption/decryption. This will use a
LOT of CPU on the termination point. Usually Edge routers have more
available resources than firewalls in my experience. HTH.
Ken