Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Putting MS servers behind firewalls

From: "Dan Harp" <danh () brenius net>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 09:28:57 -0700

I would recommend using IPSec if you want to lock down communication between servers and workstations.

Have a look at this:

http://hfnetchk.shavlik.com/support/ipsec_scan.pdf

- Dan

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 09:17:31 -0400
 "Mark Gumennik" <mgumennik () mitre org> wrote:
Dilan,
Consider re-thinking your architecture.
Opening MS ports on a fw is practically the same as not having a fw
If you're paranoid about users pinging your servers and such put a router
ACL with restriction of certain ports
Keep in mind that this router (or a fw in your case) becomes a backbone
(bottleneck) of your LAN
Best of all just put Exchange bridgehead behind a fw (DMZ), open port 25 to
it and put all AD servers on a regular LAN
Mark G