Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Putting MS servers behind firewalls

From: "Melson, Paul" <PMelson () sequoianet com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 16:02:26 -0400

Yes, but it's god-awful and relatively insecure, especially since most
of the services that must talk bi-directionally through the firewall
have been attack vectors for recent worms.  In addition to DNS,
Kerberos, LDAP, and NetBIOS (135-139, 445), you will also need to
statically assign DCOM/RPC ports.  Sounds like you've already tried
this.  I've had a reasonable amount of success with this for both
Exchange and BackupExec.  Link here:

http://www.microsoft.com/com/wpaper/dcomfw.asp

PaulM