Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Putting MS servers behind firewalls

From: <firewalladmin () bellsouth net>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 13:35:34 -0400

Hi Dilan:

Yes, you have a dilemma by putting MS servers behind an internal firewall. A few tips are the best I can offer, and
forgive me if these are very general in nature and you may already know this:
1. MS uses the dangerous netbios ports extensively which you would need to allow inbound to the servers. These include
TCP ports 135, 139, 445 and 1045 along with UDP ports 137 and 138.

2. You need to allow the obvious DNS UDP 53 in/out for name lookups.

3. You need to allow inbound TCP 25 to the exchange server (at least).

4. I would allow the "established connection" outbound rule for the random port problem and see if it works. That way,
a client connects to the mail server on an allowed port (25) and regardless of the reply port Exchange sets up, the
firewall should know that is an "established" connection (also known as statefull inspection) and allow the traffic to
pass.

5. Run TCPDump or Ethereal on your firewall to test the connections and see what else is going on that you may want to
allow/disallow.

Hope this helps a little.
[:o)
Mark