Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewalls Compared

From: ArkanoiD <ark () eltex net>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 12:30:38 +0400

nuqneH,

I've found that articles
are written from "packet filter" point of view, paying almost no
attention to application protocol support and advanced features besides
virus scanning, thus it appears
like it does not mattter if firewall can enforce application security
policy with proper granularity. And - again - no difference for
protecting servers vs protecting workstations.

"order-independant rule checking" is more than questonable feature,
there are "first match" and "last match" rulesets and i think it's much
better to keep it clear witch method is used rather than utilize some
wicked AI to decide ;-)

Logging/reporting capabilities are mentioned too briefly, though it is most
important thing to know what happens on the firewall (you cannot just
read whole daily syslog every morning ;-)