Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewalls Compared

From: Dave Piscitello <yodave () hargray com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 16:02:00 -0400

Paul, good list (I'd love to have your permission to publish it at LOOP.interop.com, with your attribution, of course). I would add:

11. What methods does the firewall provide to assist me in
asserting my security policy is enforced: specifically, are
the log entries generated sufficiently detailed?
12. Perhaps included in your thinking regarding upgrade path,
but authentication rather than performance-focused: does the
firewall support all present and projected auth methods; if
PKI, who's certs?

I'd also add related checks if you intend to use
an IPsec VPN for remote access
- origin of client SW (who wrote it),
- availability of non-Windows clients (if appropriate),
- reliability/track record of client SW vis-a-vis install across
  different Win OS and hardware
- suitability of client for use with other firewalls (if multi-
  organizational collaborative/B2B/B2C is something you must satisfy)
- client policy administration/enforcement method
I know this goes beyond "just a firewall" so if O/T ignore.