Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewalls Compared

From: "Ryan M. Ferris" <rferris () rmfdevelopment com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 09:18:24 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)

Good comments on reviewing firewalls...However, at this point I am convinced that personal and home network firewalls and desktop anti-viral software for Windows are the most critical components of national if not corporate security. All of the most devastating attacks (worms, viruses, DOS, e-mail attachments, terrorist attacks) of the last 2 - 4 years leverage the mass of unguarded PCs. Traditional concepts of firewalling networks ultimately seemed useless and incomplete to guard against these type of attacks.

I don't know where I would find statistics on how many home or corporate broadband networks have hardware firewalls or personal firewalls. If I had to guess for home users...I would say less than 10% have hardware firewalls and less than 20% employ personal firewalls. Fewer would employ both together Most users I know just ride bareback against a cable modem or DSL which is relatively amazing considering that GIAC trained professionals now are recommending that home users consider both hardware and software firewalls simultaneously. (See something like http://www.giac.org/practical/GSEC/Barbara_Kupiec_GSEC.pdf). Considering the number of intrusions that I see break throught my hardware firewall and get stopped by my personal firewall...I would say this is excellent if not underwhelming advice.

Amazingly, even as a professional I find all the application protection options of Zone Alarm Plus worth some serious study. I can't imagine most home users working their way through the when and how of granting (or not granting) generic host process access to an "open process". Other personal firewalls I have worked with approach the problem with greatly varying interfaces and functionality. Some are really quite disastrous to install or work with or just plain uninformative for the desk top.

There are a few sites around that offer personal firewall reviews and comparisons...but they are cursory in nature. In truth, the personal firewall industry is unstandardized and rapidly evolving - a fascinating state given the probability that home firewalls with soon eclipse corporate firewalls as the most significant component of national computer security.

Ryan M. Ferris
rferris () rmfdevelopment com
rferris () rmfnetworksecurity com