Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Syslog montioring and usage.

From: "Chris Todd" <chris () christophertodd com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 10:11:51 -0400 (EDT)

Chad,

Cisco has pretty good documentation on PIX log messages.  See
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps2120/products_system_message_guides_list.html

Regards,
Chris

I am trying to learn the ins and outs of using Syslog.  I am at my
second job where I have installed and configure another Pix, but have
never really got into Syslog.  I am currently using KIWI syslog daemon.
I would like to better find out what the messages mean, and how to track
down port scans, and other security related issues that syslog may
reveal. To sum it up I want to be able to have a good understanding of a
log file that comes form a Pix.

Sorry for such a n00b question as I am really starting to dig into
network security.

Thanks,

Chad Thomsen, MCSE, CCNA