Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Traffic generating tool survey

From: David Lang <david.lang () digitalinsight com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 18:32:02 -0700 (PDT)

I'm looking to find out what tools are out there for generating traffic to test firewalls.

This needs to not just throw packets out there, but also be able to be configured to talk through application proxies (bonus points for anything that can be configured to test the checking that the proxy does)

I know that a lot can be done with the in-kernel stuff that Linux has, combined with simple scripts and things like apache benchmark, but the problem I'm running into is a combination of capacity (I'm getting proxy firewalls that are fast enough that my throughput limits are the machines in the test harness, even when they are dual opteron systems) and configurability. I need to test more combinations of things then I have time to code

I've had people point me at the Spirent Communications Avalanch and Reflector products (which start up around $150K, ouch) and am seriously considering them, but before I get ready to buy anything I need to find out what else is out there.

David Lang