Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Hardware tokens for remote access authentication

From: Vin McLellan <vin () TheWorld com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 03:54:49 -0400

Marcus Ranum, ex cathreda, said:

Vin McLellan wrote:
>See Kevin Kadow's April '99 post to Bugtraq, "FWTK, Gauntlet 'random seed' security >problem," at: <http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/19990416203627.15201.qmail>.

Apparently the end of the URL got cut off. Sorry for the error. See:
<<http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/19990416203627.15201.qmail () msg net>http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/19990416203627.15201.qmail () msg net>. Note that I also copied Kevin Kadow on my earlier message.

Kadow's attack is heavily reliant on shell-level access to the
auth server. Anyone who gave shell-level access to their auth
server has already voided the warranty. ;) You're not supposed
to do that!!!  Kadow's at least intellectually honest enough to
mention in his writeup that normal FWTK/Gauntlet configuration
practice is to only allow connections to authsrv on the loopback
port, which completely defeats the attack unless the attacker
is ON the machine. That's how it was designed to be run, and
that's how it was configured in Gauntlet. In other words, the
attack would never work against a system that had not already
been misconfigured to the point of stupidity.

Your posting, Vin, doesn't mention these inconvenient facts as
they are described in Kadow's own paper. That makes it sound
a lot like you're just blowing FUD to me.

Whoa!

1. I said RSA had a patent, several patents, for time-synch in token-based authentication. I suggested that it was rash for Marcus to recommend that an institution like Johns Hopkins should ignore them.

That's a far far cry from what Gene Amdahl meant when he coined FUD -- fear, uncertainty, and doubt. -- as a description of IBM's use of competitive disinformation as a high-pressure sales tactic!

2. I also said that implementing home-brew crypto is more difficult to get right than it might first appear. In what I thought was a friendly wry aside, I cited Kevin Kadow's '99 bug report as an illustration of the subtle difficulties that can haunt crypto implementations.

3. I went off and dug it out Kevin's Bugtraq post at Marcus' explicit request. This is a five year-old bug report about 10 year-old code -- almost surely a long-settled historical tidbit, I thought, with no competitive or commercial relevance in 2004!

4. I don't believe in FUD. I don't like FUD. I don't do FUD. I'll take my lumps if I inadvertently misrepresented Kevin's '99 Bugtraq report, but I do *not* believe that a caution about the difficulty of properly implementing home-brew crypto is anything like fear-mongering. I think it's common sense, usually abundant in this forum;-)

Raining fire and brimstone, Marcus said:

I understand your
desire to relentlessly market SDI's products (you took a couple
more chances to throw in a plug here and there in your response..)
but I don't think it's proper to do it at the expense of other
systems, by selectively choosing parts of someone else's
paper that subtly change the message and distort its meaning
just so you can make your point. That's not proper.

I apologize if you, or anyone else, felt that I misrepresented Kadow's report. I thought I had grabbed the essence of it -- for the purposes of our discussion -- with Kevin's description of the apparently flawed PRN seeding and his comments about the potential implications of a successful attack on the server.

(My initial reference to Kadow's Bugtraq post was -- as Marcus should damn well know! -- a parenthetical suggestion that even our most capable developers may have difficulty getting everything right when it comes to crypto implementations. I'm astonished that quoting it could be misinterpreted as a hostile slur against the developer.)

The brief mention I made of RSA in my reply was on-topic factual information -- in furtherance of my point; in an appropriate context; in a thread explicitly focused on issues around hardware tokens.

(I won't attempt to justify my earlier meandering romp down memory lane, except to note that a lot of people seem to like my dollops of industry history, when I try to place dated reports in an timely and appropriate context. Marcus, not I, first talked about the ACE/Server problems in the mid-1990s.)

In the message we are discussing, I pointed out that even RSA's classic 64-bit SecurID hash had been found to be less that wholly resistant to all exotic attacks and had to be upgraded. I also offered (accurate;-) URLs for the relevant 2003 and 2004 academic papers critical of RSA's crypto engineering in the old SecurIDs.

The _actual_ URL (the one Vin gave is wrong) is
http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/13322
and I suggest that anyone who is interested in this topic
give it a read - compare Vin's selective editing with what
Kadow really has to say. SHAME ON YOU, VIN!

Balderdash! I offer another _actual_ URL at the top of this message. I would have corrected myself and given the complete URL when I realized the first one was truncated and didn't work. I

I'm not afraid of anyone comparing what I wrote with Kevin's original post. I accurately quoted those portions of the bug report that I thought were relevant to the -- elsewhere non-controversial -- point I was making. I wasn't judging anyone's code, I was talking about the subtle technical challenges of implementing crypto.

To wit, as Marcus said:

All that said, the PRNG seeding *IS* bad. The intent of
the system was to be 'good enough' to raise the bar
to the point where the bad guys would attack a weaker
part of the system - most likely the endpoint(s).

If you're willing to think about the problem for a few
minutes and not be impressed by FUD from a vendor
shill, you'll realize that moderately good authentication
raises the bar to the point where the other weaknesses
of the system become more significant.

No argument about that analysis from this vendor shill.

In fact, I'd argue
that plain-ole-passwords over SSH/SSL have probably
raised the bar to the point where the hackers are just
now having to re-invent transitive trust attacks (hello, kiddiez!)

Yup. No argument. (Although I note in passing that the crypto in both SSH and SSL has, on more than one occasion, been touched up, usually to deal with implementation issues. With no apparent damage to the developers' reputations;-)

The value of authentication systems like an SNK or
S/Key or SecurID has relatively little to do with their
cryptographic strength or complexity, and a lot to do
with the fact that hackers don't have keystroke loggers
for brains - yet.

I don't understand what that quip about hackers with keystroke-logging brains refers to, but that might just be my mental disability.

I do agree that the crypto in any OTP personal authentication system has be merely appropriate for its function. That is, it has to be sufficient resistant to attack so that a Bad Guy can't effectively mimic its interaction with the authentication server, in a timely manner, to gain illicit access to protected resources.

I'd go so far as to say that the ONLY
value of those systems is that they, for the time being,
push authentication computation into a non-networked
system.

Ok. That, systemically, is no less and no more than what OTP tokens were designed to do. They are, of course, challenged in the market by other, equally effective, authentication systems that rely upon their interactive network connection: i.e. smartcards and USB tokens.

In the contrast between them, the work habits of mobile users, and the fact that OTP tokens do not require local client software or a hardware reader, has been a key advantage for OTPs. In the face of faltering PKI, it has given OTP tokens legs that few, historically, expected they would have. Thus, we see MS in 2004 integrating OTP tokens as a native authentication option for Windows.

You can accomplish that with a palm pilot or
darned near anything, and you'll have a system that
the hackers aren't going to compromise.

The elegant simplicity of a small single-function device on a keychain has its own wiz-factor, for the network architect as well as the user. Some find a sealed OTP fob offers a measure of critical assurance to auditors that a programmable device (with an IR port?) may not.

A sealed device is also almost surely -- with or without the connivance of the token-holder -- more resistant to being copied or cloned. A sealed device is probably designed to be both tamper-resistant and tamper-evident -- so most physical attacks that attempted to access the token's circuits or memory would damage or destroy the OTP token, or at least the token's external casing.

For enterprise or institutional sites, of course, there is a critical additional level of assurance that almost any commercial OTP vendor can offer in terms of support, compatibility, interoperability, standardization, and the ability to accept liability, also makes a persuasive business case. This, as much as anything else, is probably why free C/R or OTP/s-key modules in Palms haven't swept aside all the commercial OTP vendors.

Security products not only have to work, they have to be trusted -- and it's all the better if an institution can mitigate any residual risk by transferring liability and responsibility for maintenance, etc., to an eternal supplier. Managers get paid to mitigate, transfer, and avoid unnecessary risks.

Unless you give them shell access to it. Duh!

Yup.  Those customers do the damndest things, don't they?

        Suerte,
                _Vin