Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Personal Firewall Rules

From: Ng Pheng Siong <ngps () netmemetic com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 11:08:20 +0800

On Sun, Jul 25, 2004 at 01:56:06PM -0400, Marcus J. Ranum wrote:
        - if you must allow something incoming allow it only to software
                you have good reason to trust

I use Kerio 2.x. It keeps (MD5?) checksums of network-using executables
(both clients and servers) and warns you "program xxx.exe has changed, do
you want to continue?" when you replace such a program, e.g., after
upgrading IE.

On a consumer Windows box, this might be the right balance between no
checking of executables and accounting for every file and every registry
entry a la Tripwire and clones, perhaps coupled with public repositories of
MD5 digests for "well-known" programs. (I think I saw such a thing before.
Anyone has a URL handy?)

Cheers.

--
Ng Pheng Siong <ngps () netmemetic com>