Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Personal Firewall Rules

From: Vinicius Moreira Mello <fake-anti-spam-addr () inf ufrgs br>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 23:37:51 -0300

Marcus J. Ranum wrote:
Something like Zonelabs/Internet Security
What rules should be put?

Zonelabs will help you set up a policy, starting from "allow nothing"
As a general rule:
        - allow nothing
        - if you must allow something allow it outgoing only
        - if you must allow something incoming allow it only to software
                you have good reason to trust

mjr.

Just a note: some Windows systems, most notably Windows XP, tend to fight for being the "Master Domain Browser" when they don't receive some SMB packets. When this happens it can make all computers invisible at the "workgroup window" for the other Windows clients. Also, in a domain context, it can take several minutes for a user to log off. I saw this happening twice, I have no more details, I only known that disabling the firewall solves the problem.

Ok, ok, I won't tell you "block everything and *just* permit (135,445)/tcp". But allow nothing with care ;)

Regards,
vmm.