Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: iso 17799

From: George Capehart <gwc () acm org>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 22:29:40 -0400

On Monday 19 July 2004 17:33, Marcus J. Ranum allegedly wrote:
Paul D. Robertson wrote:
As far as I can tell, ISO9000 only really worked for the ISO9000
consultants.  Can't see where 17799 is any different.

Well, as George Capehart points out, NIST thinks in
http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/secpubs/otherpubs/reviso-faq.pdf
that Common Criteria are better.

I am trying to see if I can mash down REALLY hard on that particular
button of Paul's....

*ducking tomatoes and meringue pies*

Well, thanks for dragging *me* into this food fight . . .  :>  I agree
with NIST's criticism of 17799.  Don't know that I am quite comfortable
that the CC are somehow "better," however.  Smacks of apples and
oranges to me.  I *will* take the position, though, that if one tries
to build an Information Security program around 17799, there will be a
*lot* that is missing . . .  IMHO it just doesn't cover all the bases.

My 0.02 $CURRENCY.

/g