Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Comparisons between Router ACLs and Firewalls

From: "Mark Gumennik" <mgumennik () mitre org>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 12:14:00 -0500

I have done some experiments with the router's ACL's
I applied several different types (sic!) of ACLs with the number of
lines from 20 to 500.
Then I was banging it (the router) with different packets generated by
SmartBits.
I have tested 2 mid-size routers on 10 MBps and 100 MBps interfaces.

The result was quit strange:

On the ACLs based on "permit all" statement at the end:
Almost independent of the length of the ACLs I have seen the routers
starting packet drop at 20% of the interface speed (18 - 22 %) depending
on the length) Keep in mind that the traffic was the same all the time,
close to the real thing.

On the ACLs based on "deny all" statement at the end:
- much more dependant on the length of ACL and positioning of certain
statements within the ACL.
The packet drop started @ 40-50% of the line speed

Mark G

PS I'll be out to sea for a week