Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Comparisons between Router ACLs and Firewalls

Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2004 18:36:05 -0600

inline

Wes Noonan
mailinglists () wjnconsulting com
http://www.wjnconsulting.com

-----Original Message-----
From: firewall-wizards-admin () honor icsalabs com [mailto:firewall-wizards-
admin () honor icsalabs com] On Behalf Of Paul Robertson
Sent: Saturday, January 03, 2004 18:23
To: Wes Noonan
Cc: 'Marcus J. Ranum'; 'Bill James'; 'David Pick'; firewall-
wizards () honor icsalabs com
Subject: RE: [fw-wiz] Comparisons between Router ACLs and Firewalls

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004, Wes Noonan wrote:

One of the problems that we had when I was working for a company that
made
network performance management tools was dealing with this exact issue.
Because every packet size is variable in most networks (ATM, etc. are
obvious exceptions), the impact that many things have on the performance
of
a network device becomes almost impossible to make a general baseline
statement about, much to the chagrin of the sales force. This is so true
that Cisco (and most other vendors) typically refer to a set 64K packet
size
in the small print on all of their performance metrics, although this is

Erm, you mean 64 *byte* don't you?

Err... been writing for about 10 hours today... eyes and brain getting
tired... :-)

It already is, so the processing overhead is incremental, that's why Cisco
did so much work on access lists and ensuring the switching paths were as
fast as possible even without things like VIP cards.  Seriously- adding
permits first for the bulk of the traffic will keep the router singing.

I've had to overcome the "can't put filters on that router" thing for
production routers way too many times- and every single time, when the
rules were sane, the router's CPU wasn't even measurably impacted.  Am I
beating a dead horse?  Sure!  Because it'll make it easier if people
understand that for most routers, IF you do it right, extended access
lists won't hurt it- if they do, the router's seriously underconfigured
anyway- the ACLs won't be the real issue.

Oh, I agree completely. It's been my experience that pretty much any time
ACLs caused a problem on the router it was really just a symptom of another
problem, generally having too small a device trying to perform the role.
I.e. wedging a 1720 to service all routing for a few hundred users is the
problem, if you know what I mean.

You can produce some general numbers and a traffic profile that's "good
enoough" to measure with.  Traffic like multicast, and traffic *to* the
router will do more to impact performance than stuff you're passing
through it, since those are process switched (AFAIR) and that's where the
real hits come from.

Agreed. The problem comes into the question of what is "good enough". Some
folks are overly anal-retentive on this subject.