Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Botnets, IRC servers and firewalls?

From: mlh () zipworld com au
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 12:07:49 +1100

On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 04:30:41PM -0500, Marcus J. Ranum wrote:
Just the amount of spyware that infests most organizations
is enough to terrify anyone.

In the last year or so, EVERY non-corporate windows machine
that I have come across that is or has a connection to the
internet has AT LEAST one bit of spyware, virus or trojan.

EVERY SINGLE ONE.

Even machines that were only occasionally connected to
the net, over slow modems, that did not do any downloading.

The worst was an win98 machine connected to cable.
It had 5 viruses, two of which disabled most
commercial 'personal' firewall' products.

It also had quite a few gator/brilliant digital etc
spyware/adware programs.

The owner was mortified to discover this and we ran
windows update and various spyware removers.

Couple of weeks later he's been hit by MyDoom.

Most consumers are so unprotected (and ignorant,
though that's not their fault) it's terrifying.

Matt