Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Botnets, IRC servers and firewalls?

From: Chris Blask <blask () protegonetworks com>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 11:15:08 -0800

At 12:35 PM 2/4/2004 -0500, Marcus J. Ranum wrote:
Patrick M. Hausen wrote:
>Which still leaves us with the main question: why?
>What are their real objectives?

I don't *KNOW*!!!! I wish I did - anyone on the list care to
comment?

If I had to guess, I'd guess that it's simply a reflexive
effort to remove hassles.

Bingo!

So the question for the Network Guys (or whomever appropriate) becomes not so much "how and why should I do egress filtering?" but rather "how can I follow the lead of the Security folks without waking up in a sweat?".

Whatever the method (Good Cop, Bad Cop, threatening, ingratiating...), we need to package our arguments so that the Great Unwashed can unfold them and find what they are looking for inside - Comfort. When they seek Comfort in foolishness then our wrapping job did not incline them to accept the contents of the package in the spirit that was intended.

It's like training a dog who just isn't the brightest in the litter (and, frankly, even those who are). Loving and cuddling to make them want to be good is as important as wrestling them to the ground and having a little one-on-one to make them want to not be bad.

-woof!

-chris