Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: PocketPC firewalls

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 09:05:34 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004, Williams Jon wrote:

That was the take we've had for a while, although recent changes (i.e.
certain iPAQs coming with built in 802.11 access, etc.) have made us
question that.  Hopefully, these machines won't have mission critical

(Trying not to beat a dead horse here, but I realized I might not have
been clear...)

Firewalls are *really* good at blocking things that shouldn't happen.
With network firewalls, we can do application level things too- but with
smaller firewalls, the trend is really to packet filter and disallow
processes.  Disallowing processes is *great* for stopping many Trojans,
and blocking packets is great for stopping access to services that are
less than optimally coded, and shouldn't be exposed.

My sense with PDA devices is that most of the risk will come from things
which must be exposed anyway, such as e-mail and Web clients, as well as
from physical theft.  The firewalls that are likely to exist will probably
do nothing against those particular vectors of attack.

I don't do PocketPC, so if anyone has a portscan, it'd be useful
information IMO.

Thanks,

Paul