Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Post connection SYN

From: Ravi Kumar <ravivsn () roc co in>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 10:54:55 +0530

Hi Raghuveer,
        I am giving pictorial diagram of the problem you are
       describing. Then I try to give my solution to the problem

       TCPClient----------Firewall------------TCPServer

          ----------------------SYN ---------------------->
           <----------------SYN+ACK------------------
         --------------------- ACK---------------------->
                   Data transfer
         TCPClient machine rebooted abnormally.
          -----------------------SYN with same Source Port)--------->

         There was already firewall session with this TCP information.
         Now the question is what to do with the new SYN packet?
         If you silently drop, TCP Client takes minutes before deciding that
            connection could not go through.
         So, it is better to send RST back to the client.

         Think of the case where you don't have Firewall - or - you have
proxy firewalls. I guess RST will be sent. So, your firewall sending
          RST for SYN packet would be fine.

It might look that it can become an attack if MITM frames SYN packet. I would not worry about that. What should it take MITM to frame RST packet and send it to the client? It might take same amount of time or even lesser time
          to frame RST packet.

Having said that, it is better to have configuration which most of firewalls have. It is called stealth mode. In non- stealth mode, RST packet can be sent for 'Post connection
        SYN'. In stealth mode, RST packet should not be generated.

 Regards
 Ravi