Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: SYN flood protection strategies (Was: Post connection SYN)

From: Paul Robertson <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 13:19:01 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003, Chuck Swiger wrote:

  Handling SYN floods at the firewall lets you conserve internal LAN
bandwidth even if your Internet pipe(s) are still going to suffer.

That would imply that you're letting external traffic hit your internal
LAN, instead of servers on the DMZ.  I figured that particular lesson was
learned a good decade ago?

Paul