Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: SYN flood protection strategies (Was: Post connectionSYN)

From: Mikael Olsson <mikael.olsson () clavister com>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 18:04:14 +0200

Paul Robertson wrote:

Um, the point wasn't that the N to <N move was necessarily bad, just that
you're either stuck with rate limiting of some sort, or a ring buffer of
some sort, or you've recreated the problem all over again, just in a
different place.

Yeah, if the firewall just hits the wall when the state table fills
up, I agree completely. But that'd be a dumb thing to do, now
wouldn't it? ;)

I happen to think that rate limits are interesting when applied to this
sort of thing, because if you can add additional information (such as
originating AS from an radb sort of thing) then you can provide some
semblance of QoSishness...

The problem here is applying this logic to 100k+ (heck, make it 1M+)
states, while dealing with 100kpps (32Mbit/s) inbound. Too much logic,
and you have a CPU crunching DoS which affects _all_ traffic and not
just new connections.

There's a number of approaches here that aren't too CPU intensive
but still result in QoSish behavior, but I'm not in a mood to give
away good ideas today >:]

--
Mikael Olsson, Clavister AB
Storgatan 12, Box 393, SE-891 28 ÖRNSKÖLDSVIK, Sweden