Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Re: Wayyy too many spoofed packets

From: Frank Knobbe <frank () knobbe us>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 23:03:12 -0600

On Fri, 2003-11-21 at 22:52, Chris de Vidal wrote:
So why do I see so many inbound packets from the network coming through
eth0 with my IP?  The only explaination that makes sense is a router
somewhere rebroadcasting packets...

Those are packets FROM your IP for the network. They're not spoofed,
your box sends them to the network.

+-------+   +----+
|You Box|---|eth0|---> network
+-------+   +----+

172.19.2.200 -> 172.19.255.255

netfilter logs that packet that is trying to leave your box. There is no
spoofed packets.

If you turn your box off, and use a different machine with tcpdump,
sniff the traffic and STILL capture packets with the turned off IP
address, then I believe you have spoofed packets floating around :)
Until then, the way I see your description is that you are
logging/blocking VALID packets FROM your box to the network.

Regards,
Frank