Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Wayyy too many spoofed packets

From: Mikael Olsson <mikael.olsson () clavister com>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 01:32:19 +0100

Chris de Vidal wrote:

I'm going to be installing firewalls on my internal servers (yes, I'm
paranoid) and right now I'm testing in flag-only mode (don't drop any
packets) on one server.  So-far, so-good, except every day I get about 150
"spoofed" packets; packets claiming to be my IP coming INTO the NIC card.
Strangely, the destination is always my network's broadcast address.
Perhaps even more strangely is I'm seeing it only on SMB (UDP 137:138) and
backup traffic (UDP 20031) ports.

There's a bunch of busted routers and L3 switches that will sometimes
pick up broadcasts and re-send them.  (Yes, very bad. The fact that
your network hasn't gone down the toilet yet is that it only happens
_some_ of the time, not for every single packet.)

Take a closer look at the source MAC address and you'll likely find
the offending router/switch.

--
Mikael Olsson, Clavister AB
Storgatan 12, Box 393, SE-891 28 ÖRNSKÖLDSVIK, Sweden