Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Wayyy too many spoofed packets

From: Paul Robertson <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 15:22:43 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003, Chris de Vidal wrote:

I'm going to be installing firewalls on my internal servers (yes, I'm
paranoid) and right now I'm testing in flag-only mode (don't drop any
packets) on one server.  So-far, so-good, except every day I get about 150
"spoofed" packets; packets claiming to be my IP coming INTO the NIC card.
Strangely, the destination is always my network's broadcast address.
Perhaps even more strangely is I'm seeing it only on SMB (UDP 137:138) and
backup traffic (UDP 20031) ports.

It's probably just weird broadcast handling, since once your workstation
puts the packets out on the wire, and the destination is broadcast, it's
obligated to accept them off the wire so that an application can handle
them.

Ideas?

If the workstation sending them is the correct MAC address, try the same
thing on an isolated segment, with a virtual network, or whatever and
confirm the behaviour.

Paul