Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Free Firewalls? Thoughts...

From: David Lang <david.lang () digitalinsight com>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 16:59:14 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 9 May 2003, Mark Gumennik wrote:

Javier,
It seems to me that the halted mode operation is not much different from
running some Linux kernel-based firewalls that you can run from a
floppy, but the idea is very cool.

the advantage is that even if you are running from a floppy you have a
full userspace environment to run programs in, once the machine has halted
you don't even have init, the only think that is running is the kernel
passing traffic.

this does mean that you don't have any logs from this, but in some cases
the security of having _nothing_ running on the firewall will outweigh the
loss of security from not having the firewall keep records of things (and
most of the floppy based firewall have very little space for logs anyway
so it's not much of a loss)

it does also mean that to change a rule you have to reboot the firewall,
but if the ruleset is static this won't happen frequently.

David Lang

As far as Guntlet to Checkpoint:
I don't have a recepie, just a suggestion. Last time I've seen Guntlet 2
years ago, before Secure bought it. The idea was brilliant: a
combination of app proxy and a packet filter (I don't know how much of
that is in the new G2). So when you "migrate" the rulesets you have to
migrate "apples to apples". I have seen a case where a rulset from a
proxy FW was translated to a packet filter FW: about 20 rulsets from a
proxy tranlated to about 600 ACLs on a packet filter. So, what I am
trying to say is that it may be easier to write new policies, unless
somebody gives you a bullet-proof tool for migration.
Mark

Javier Sanchez wrote:

I found some explanation about the halted mode operation, cool ....

http://www.samag.com/documents/s=1824/sam0201d/0201d.htm

Does anyone know any tool/application to migrate a gauntlet ruleset to
checkpoint fw1 ?

Javier Sanchez Llera
Buongiorno - MyAlert
jsanchez () myalert com