Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Evaluating Firewall

From: Jeffery.Gieser () minnesotamutual com
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 08:15:58 -0500

Vineet,

Maybe it's just me but I have seen a lot of firewall evaluation checklists
and security related points are rarely listed.  Here are some security
related points that should perhaps be listed.

1.  How secure is the platform the firewall is installed on?
2.  Does the vendor harded the OS or do you need to?
3.  What type of firewall is this (ALG, Stateful Inspection, Packet
Filter)?  What type do you need?
4.  How configurable is the rulebase?
5.  Has the firewall had a lot of security vulnerabilities associated with
it?
6.  How well can it enforce your policies?

There are a lot more I could list but you should at least put one point
that says security if nothing else since thats what a firewalls job is.

Regards,
Jeffery Gieser

                      Vineet Mehta

                      <vineet () linux com kw>                 To:       firewall-wizards () honor icsalabs com

                      Sent by:                              cc:

                      firewall-wizards-admin@honor.i        Subject:  [fw-wiz] Evaluating Firewall

                      csalabs.com

                      05/03/2003 12:53 AM

                      Please respond to vineet

Recently I was asked to evaluate Securepoint 3.0 firewall. On what basis
one should evaluate this firewall? Some of the points i can think of
are:

1) Reports details/format
2) Managebility
3) Stability
4) Modules/Features

Any more points or detailed things I should consider in evaluating this
firewall? Any suggestion is welcome.

Thanks

Regards,
--