Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Rationale for BSD (I)PF rule order?

From: Paul Robertson <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 12:46:49 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 12 May 2003, Ben Nagy wrote:

Maybe I'll add a new principle when teaching my 'Dao of Good Security' - "if
your security policy is complex then it isn't working".

We once had an employee who's last employer would put in a rule to allow
something upon request, then remove it at the end of the request period.
He couldn't see why so much change in a security device's configuration
was a bad thing.  They often made 100 ruleset changes a day!

Having lots of rules isn't necessarily a bad thing, if they don't change
much over time.  The issue is keeping up with a network that *does* change
over time.

Complexity isn't necessarily about number of rules, which is why I thought
the "first, last or best" match thread was interesting.  I don't know if
it's "your policy isn't working" so much as it's "Your policy doesn't live
in the real world."

If your policy forces 100 rule changes a day, it's likely not a good
real-world policy.  If you have 30,000 rules, and you're one organization,
you *may* have a good policy, but it may be tedious more than complex.

If it takes more than a minute to decide if a
packet/connection/application can get from A<->B, it's likely time for a
redesign.

Paul