Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Rationale for BSD (I)PF rule order?

From: "Bill Royds" <Bill () royds net>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 06:50:25 -0400

In a "best fit" rule scheme, there may be places where either of two rules
apply equally. The one system that I know implements this, Symantec (Raptor)
Enterprise Firewall, also gives a warning  message when you define the rule,
stating that there are conflicting rules.

 A system that allowed one to enter rules as a decision tree would allow
clear rules with relative ease of entering new ones without ambiguity and
possibility of mismatch. A first fit would be a subset of this, as would a
last fit (both we tree depth equal to number of rules).